The Toyota Safety Sense™ package is an innovative safety suite that has earned incredible praise from drivers and industry experts alike. It offers outstanding features that track movement in your surroundings, and many work to prevent collisions. Among these features is the Toyota Pre-Collision System that works using a front-facing camera and laser that detects objects in your path and alerts you when it’s time to brake. It can even bring your vehicle to a complete stop automatically, if necessary.
How Does the Toyota Pre-Collision System Work?
You know a little bit about what the Toyota Pre-Collision System does, now you are probably wondering how it actually functions on your day-to-day drives in and around the New Albany area?
- A Toyota model with the Pre-Collision System comes with a front-facing camera and an invisible laser.
- It uses the components to measure the distance between your vehicle and the obstacle that is directly in front of you.
- Taking your speed into account, the system determines the likelihood of a collision.
- If a collision is likely, your vehicle sends out an audiovisual alert to notify you of the danger. This means that you should manually apply the brakes as soon as possible.
- If you don’t stop or slow down, the Toyota Pre-Collision System may apply the brakes automatically or deploy them at full force with brake assist.
There is never a substitute for careful and attentive driving. However, with the Toyota Pre-Collision System, you can enjoy the added protection against any inevitable surprises that can occur while on the road.
Toyota Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection
There are different versions of the Toyota Pre-Collision System available. With Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS P) or Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0) – the most common version – the Toyota Pre-Collision System also offers Pedestrian Detection.
Vehicles that have Pedestrian Detection feature an additional grille-mounted system that uses millimeter-wave radar to inspect your surroundings for smaller objects that the PCS could miss! It examines the size, shape, and motion of this smaller object to identify vulnerable people and apply the brakes as necessary.
Which Toyota Models Have Pre-Collision System?
Now, drivers have access to the Toyota Pre-Collision System in a variety of new Toyota vehicles. For the 2019 and 2020 model years, PCS will either come standard or available in each of the following models:
- Crossovers, SUVs, and Minivans: C-HR, Land Cruiser, Highlander, Highlander Hybrid, RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid, Tundra, Sequoia, Tacoma, Sienna
- Cars and Hatchbacks: Avalon, Avalon Hybrid, Camry, Camry Hybrid, Corolla, Corolla Hybrid, Prius, Prius Prime, Prius c, Yaris Hatchback
Toyota Safety Sense™ Features
While it depends on the model and model year of the vehicle purchased, you can get one of the three Toyota Safety Sense™ packages available. Below is a look at the features available in the most comprehensive version, Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0):
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
- Automatic High Beams (AHB)
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC) or Full-Speed Range DRCC
- Road Sign Assist (RSA)
Toyota Safety Sense™ P (TSS P) is the most common package and includes most of the features listed above, minus LTA and RSA. Toyota Safety Sense™ C (TSS C) only includes PCS, LDA, and AHB, but there are only a few models that still offer this package. Talk to an expert before purchasing to make sure you are getting the package that you want.
Visit Toyota of Louisville Today!
Finding a new Toyota vehicle that has all of the features you want, including Toyota Safety Sense™, has never been easier than with us at Toyota of Louisville. Visit us today, and we will get you behind the wheel of your dream vehicle that’s sure to enhance your day-to-day routine. While you’re here, you can learn more about the Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS) system and all the features it has to offer and you can also browse our service tips and learn things like how to reset the maintenance light on your Toyota Camry. Apply for financing and explore our vehicle specials for additional savings before visiting us for a test drive.