How to Properly Jump Start a Car
You might think you know how to jump start a car, but do you know the proper way to jump start a car? At Toyota of Louisville, we’re here to help. When your car won’t start in Elizabethtown, you may be dealing with a battery issue. When you jump start a car battery, you recharge your battery enough to get back on the road – or straight to the service department!
How to Jump-Start a Car Yourself
While you could call a jump start car service in New Albany, learning how to jump-start a car yourself isn’t difficult. But you’ll need a few things before you start. First, you’ll need a set of jumper cables. Second, you’ll need a fellow driver who is willing to lend a helping hand.
- Face both vehicles towards each other and park. Engage the parking brake for safety.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. Remove the plastic hood if needed.
- Find the positive and negative battery terminals. Make sure they are free of corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Connect the other red clamp to the positive post on the working battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the working battery.
- Connect the last black clamp to an unpainted metal surface of your car.
- Start the engine of the car with the good battery.
- Try to start your engine.
If Your Car Won’t Jump Start
What if your car won’t jump start? It’s time to do some troubleshooting!
- Do you hear a clicking noise? Your starter might be malfunctioning.
- Does your electrical system still turn on? You might have an issue with the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse.
- Did your car die immediately after a successful jump? Try again, and be sure to let your vehicle run for a longer period after the jump. This helps your battery recharge more fully.
Schedule Your Service with Toyota of Louisville
Whether you want a battery inspection or a replacement for your vehicle, you can count on Toyota of Louisville for your automotive needs in the Lexington area. We offer everything from routine maintenance to serious repairs, so don’t hesitate to contact our service department with your questions.
More from Toyota of Louisville
The 2023 Toyota Camry invites you into a world of sophisticated design, spaciousness, and comfort. As you step inside the 2023 Toyota Camry, you’ll find an interior that’s meticulously crafted to enhance your New Albany driving experience. From its dimensions to its interior colors, let’s take a closer look at the 2023 Toyota Camry and…
If you’re considering the new Toyota Tacoma, and wondering about its gas mileage performance on New Albany roads, you’ll be pleased to know that the Tacoma offers an impressive mpg range. So, how many miles per gallon does the 2023 Toyota Tacoma get? The fuel economy reaches up to 20 in the city and 24…
The 2023 Toyota Highlander seems to have it all—versatility, comfort, dependability, and plenty of space for New Albany and Elizabethtown passengers. Not only that, 2023 marks the return of the Toyota Highlander Hybrid, which answers the question, “Is the 2023 Toyota Highlander fuel efficient?” Absolutely! Find out how many miles per gallon the 2023 Toyota…