How to Properly Jump Start a Car
You might think you know how to jump start a car, but do you know the proper way to jump start a car? At Toyota of Louisville, we’re here to help. When your car won’t start in Elizabethtown, you may be dealing with a battery issue. When you jump start a car battery, you recharge your battery enough to get back on the road – or straight to the service department!
How to Jump-Start a Car Yourself
While you could call a jump start car service in New Albany, learning how to jump-start a car yourself isn’t difficult. But you’ll need a few things before you start. First, you’ll need a set of jumper cables. Second, you’ll need a fellow driver who is willing to lend a helping hand.
- Face both vehicles towards each other and park. Engage the parking brake for safety.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. Remove the plastic hood if needed.
- Find the positive and negative battery terminals. Make sure they are free of corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Connect the other red clamp to the positive post on the working battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the working battery.
- Connect the last black clamp to an unpainted metal surface of your car.
- Start the engine of the car with the good battery.
- Try to start your engine.
If Your Car Won’t Jump Start
What if your car won’t jump start? It’s time to do some troubleshooting!
- Do you hear a clicking noise? Your starter might be malfunctioning.
- Does your electrical system still turn on? You might have an issue with the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse.
- Did your car die immediately after a successful jump? Try again, and be sure to let your vehicle run for a longer period after the jump. This helps your battery recharge more fully.
Schedule Your Service with Toyota of Louisville
Whether you want a battery inspection or a replacement for your vehicle, you can count on Toyota of Louisville for your automotive needs in the Lexington area. We offer everything from routine maintenance to serious repairs, so don’t hesitate to contact our service department with your questions.
More from Toyota of Louisville
If you’re looking for a fuel-efficient SUV to drive through New Albany, you’ve come to the right place! SUVs have a bad reputation for being “gas guzzlers”, so we often are asked, “how many miles per gallon does the 2023 Toyota RAV4 get?”. The answer depends on the configuration you’re interested in. Learn more about…
Ready to upgrade your daily Louisville commute? Start your new vehicle search by exploring the 2023 Toyota RAV4 configurations! The Toyota RAV4 has always been a customer favorite as you’ve noticed plenty of them in New Albany. Toyota of Louisville is here to help you find out which 2023 Toyota RAV4 trim level is right for you….
The new Toyota Tundra looks like the kind of pickup that could boss around other pickups on a job site, and it has the towing chops to back that look up. How much can the 2023 Toyota Tundra tow? The 2023 Toyota Tundra towing capacity is a massive 12,000 pounds when properly equipped. What…