How to Properly Jump Start a Car
You might think you know how to jump start a car, but do you know the proper way to jump start a car? At Toyota of Louisville, we’re here to help. When your car won’t start in Elizabethtown, you may be dealing with a battery issue. When you jump start a car battery, you recharge your battery enough to get back on the road – or straight to the service department!
How to Jump-Start a Car Yourself
While you could call a jump start car service in New Albany, learning how to jump-start a car yourself isn’t difficult. But you’ll need a few things before you start. First, you’ll need a set of jumper cables. Second, you’ll need a fellow driver who is willing to lend a helping hand.
- Face both vehicles towards each other and park. Engage the parking brake for safety.
- Open both hoods and locate the batteries. Remove the plastic hood if needed.
- Find the positive and negative battery terminals. Make sure they are free of corrosion.
- Connect the red clamp to the positive post on the dead battery.
- Connect the other red clamp to the positive post on the working battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative post on the working battery.
- Connect the last black clamp to an unpainted metal surface of your car.
- Start the engine of the car with the good battery.
- Try to start your engine.
If Your Car Won’t Jump Start
What if your car won’t jump start? It’s time to do some troubleshooting!
- Do you hear a clicking noise? Your starter might be malfunctioning.
- Does your electrical system still turn on? You might have an issue with the ignition switch, battery, starter, or a fuse.
- Did your car die immediately after a successful jump? Try again, and be sure to let your vehicle run for a longer period after the jump. This helps your battery recharge more fully.
Schedule Your Service with Toyota of Louisville
Whether you want a battery inspection or a replacement for your vehicle, you can count on Toyota of Louisville for your automotive needs in the Lexington area. We offer everything from routine maintenance to serious repairs, so don’t hesitate to contact our service department with your questions.
More from Toyota of Louisville
The Toyota Corolla is a fantastic vehicle to opt for if you’re looking for something that delivers incredible efficiency on your New Albany commute. It’s been engineered for maximum efficiency and performance, and its exterior size makes it easy to maneuver around tight Elizabethtown streets. While there’s plenty to appreciate about the 2024 Toyota Corolla,…
The Toyota Tacoma is a beloved choice among drivers in New Albany and its neighboring areas, primarily due to its impressive hauling capabilities. But how much can a Toyota Tacoma tow? The 2024 Toyota Tacoma boasts a towing capacity of up to 6,500 pounds when properly equipped with the 2024 Toyota Tacoma tow hitch and…
The 2024 Toyota Tundra gives you exceptional towing capacity and premium performance for every New Albany drive. As you move up the trim levels of this pickup truck, you’ll also get off-road capabilities for weekend getaways to your favorite lake, mountain, or wilderness destination. You’ll enjoy maximum value for the 2024 Toyota Tundra price, and…